Friday, 3 June 2011

Brief 1 - Surface Pattern Yearbook Submission Boards




Summative Evaluation:
This brief was a really great way to start my FMP. I always knew that it would take a long period of time to get it resolved as this is the nature of designing a book to a clients needs. It is necessary for the design to evolve with the clients wishes and specifications in order to deliver exactly what they want. Its this process of back and forth with the clients that takes time. Meetings and consultations are a necessary evil in that respect but I think the resulting publication is testament to the honest relationship and trust we as a team built with the Surface Pattern tutors. There was never any confusion as we had clear lines of dialogue with the client and they were receptive to our ideas, as we were with theirs. 
This brief has taught me a lot about planning a project of this scale. Regular meetings are a must if only to update people on progress and make sure everyone is reading form the same page. I was in charge of sourcing and commissioning a photographer to use in the book. During last module I found that commissioning a good photographer and really enhance a design as well as saving you time. Compared to last time though our photographer for this job was not as professional and at times went off the radar - the opposite of keeping clear lines of dialogue. He did in the end provide us with some good photos but in equal measure caused us stress due to his lack of professionalism and updates. 
If anything the biggest things to come out of this project is that it has confirmed to me that collaborative practice is key to my work, meetings are a necessary evil in order to progress a project to the best of its ability and that when in industry - once I find a reliable photographer I can work with keep hold of them. It is a valuable working relationship that needs to be looked after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - FMP