To celebrate the UK first of Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution I've designed a set of stamps that document the 'Evolution of Man'.
Simple really :)
For the first attempt I just stole an illustration off of a google search and mocked up the image. The landscape format of the stamp suits this image, which has been overlayed over the block background colours to help unify the elements. The grey head, type etc is to represent that these elements could be silver should the stamp go into production.
Moving on, I wanted to separate the six stages of evolution onto individual stamps to form a series of six. For each figure I drew it very simply in illustrator in two colours with the view that at stamp scale the detail would be somewhat lost. Whilst doing so I thought that the image looked too flat and needed grain / texture to bind the elements together and create a more visually interesting image. Once the images had been made I took them into photoshop to add a colour halftone for added grain. After this I added the head, type etc in illustrator so it didn't lose clarity through the halftone. I think it gives the stamps a retro 'school textbook' feel. The type looks slightly illegible on screen but once printed it is perfectly legible. Should the design win it would be printed gravure so the image and detail would be very crisp.
Before / After:
The complete series:
Just for a bit of fun I thought I'd use the six stamps to make an animated gif. As you can see the mountains move left across the series to give the impression of the man walking.
Out of all of my stamp concepts so far this is by far the most obvious and although I can't find any examples of a series like this online, I'm can be pretty sure that something similar has been done before. This isn't to say I don't like the design but I think it could do with being pushed further. Which I will do right now :)




No comments:
Post a Comment