Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Possible FMP Briefs

I thought it would be a good idea to get my initial thoughts on FMP briefs down. Some of these are potential briefs, some are collaborations I will be doing, others are quick ideas I had for interesting briefs. 

1. Promo mailer to be sent out to design studios (PPD) to promote myself and hopefully get a Easter placement organised.

2 . Jonny Collaboration: moving on from out pilot collaboration in the previous module, Jonny and I have developed an idea to produce a series of posters. Jonny providing the illustration and myself designing the typography. Our intentions with this project is to carry it on after Uni, collaborating via email and meeting up occasionally. We also aim to design ourselves a website in order to promote the collaboration with the potential for selling prints / taking on commercial projects. 

3. Leeds Book Fair: last module Ed, Jonny, Vicky, Charlotte and myself clubbed together to buy a stool at Leeds Books Fair. In addition to selling Jonny and I's collaborative prints, I want to design some sort of publication to sell at the book fair and include in my portfolio. I am still working on the content of the publication.
4. SamplePhonics: Before christmas I responded to a potential live brief - designing the brand and identity to a new sample company SamplePhonics. The brief asks for art direction, branding / identity design, promotion and packaging. All the things I want to get stuck into! Unfortunately the response came that the position of designer had been filled but David at SamplePhonics said he liked my work so I asked him if I could do it anyway as part of my FMP. He even went as far to say that if they liked my designs better than the other designer, they would pay me for it. I am waiting for him to send me the official brief.

5. End of year Show: art direction and branding for Leeds College of Art end of year Graduate Show 2011. Liam Hine and I will be collaborating on this. Should be a good brief. 

6. Record Label Anniversary Anthology: a brief I didn't use in the previous module. It focuses on print finish, packaging, art direction, presentation of information and the relationship of type, image and layout. At this stage it is a maybe for FMP.

7. Photography Look Book: after the success of working with professional photographer Kelly Knaga during the last module, I would like to work along side a professional photographer and design a Look Book for their work. It will be a good exercise in print and publication design with a focus on clarity of layout and production itself. There would also be branding and identity aspect of the brief to consider / design for the photographer. 

8. BA (Hons) Surface Pattern & Textile Design Yearbook 2011: This is something Ian and I have been discussing since the second year. A great opportunity to work as part of a team (me, Ian & Charlotte) on a commercially printed project. It will test our type / layout skills as well as boosting our knowledge of design for commercial print. Art direction will be very important as prom material will asl need to be designed in addition to the yearbook itself. Needless to say, I'm very excited about this brief!

9. No Guts, No Glory: possible quick turnaround brief designing t-shirt designs for Devon based t-shirt company No Guts, No Glory. 

10. Sweetie Pie & the Gutter Men: poster design for use as promotion for the band. The posters will be designed in response to the bands song titles. A chance to explore the relationship between type and image as well as the screen-printing process. 

11. Printers Identity: a brief I didn't use last module - rebrand a local printers in the Leeds area. Focus will be on branding, promotion and sample packs with the possibility of a website overhaul. This needs brief needs more investigation before it is official.


12. Class of 2011 Newspaper: I had this idea whilst talking to Barry Tullet. His BA Graphic Design graduates produced a newspaper (printed by the Guardian) and I think it would be a good souvenir / memento if the class responded to a word or phrase in any way they liked. They would be given a fixed format (single page) to work with on which to respond. I would then collate the responses, layout the publication and organise the printing of it. A rough estimate was just under £20 a head for 5000. I thought it could be taken to D&AD as a free course promo in addition to the yearbook. The only problems I could see with doing this brief would be whether people would be interested and having to chase people up. Next step would be to gage the classes interest. 


13. Stamp design: interested at working to a small scale. I have had the idea of designing a series of stamps for the Royal Mail. In fact, I have found two competition briefs to that effect for the Royal Society of Arts. This could be great fun and even greater exposure if my designs get  chosen!

These are all in the early stages of brief writing and selection. Good to know I have lots to choose from though! In addition to these I will need to have some live briefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - FMP