Graphic designer David Hillman was asked to design a set of millennium stamps by the Post Office. Issued over one year (four per month) this set of 48 stamps is a photographic celebration of the diverse projects financed by the Millennium Fund. I don't think a photographic approach would really suit the content of UK firsts but this set displays the possibility for creating great design if provided with great photography and the intrinsic link between the two. The point size of the type on each is very small but perfectly legible and helps to not interfere with the image itself. There is, of course, the obligatory silhouette of the queens head. This is something I need to bare in mind for my designs.
I think this set of stamps is brilliant and sums up my previous comments about audience interactivity with stamps. Known as Freedom Stamps, they were designed to highlight slavery, of which the chain is a strong symbol. It is a design that perfectly combines content, context and delivery. Genius! Each stamp works singly or as a sheet.


No comments:
Post a Comment