Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Yearbook Initial Spreads 3

A sample of spreads that I came up with whilst working to our 9 column grid:
This first one is an attempt to reference out three bar icon (turned 90 degrees CCW). Interesting layout but the top bar is positioned far too close the the head shot on the left hand side. Also the wide and shallow nature of the frames means it will be very hard to fit pictures of peoples work in easily. 
Leading on from the above I decided to position the frames in the same pattern as out three bar icon whilst taking into account the central gutter. I'm not convinced it works as an effective display pattern, looking almost disjointed. I do however like the position of the head shot an personal information. I particularly like the contact details at the bottom of the column, referenced to the persons name by the use of blue.
More of a conventional layout now, large overview image on the right with two smaller frames on the left page. Three frames to continue the rule of three theme but I think perhaps there is too little white space. A bigger gap is needed from the personal information column on the left.  
On the following layout I reversed the contact details out of a blue rectangle but such a large shape dominates the spread. Better to keep it blue type.
Reversing the frames on the pages: 
(Still too close to the info column)
Addition of a caption down the far left through leaving a white space. Works well to 
 
White space getting better. Perhaps still to 'blocky' in its layout:
Removing the bleed from the bottom of the page allows for movement under the images. More work needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - FMP