Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Yearbook Cover - Initial Ideas

Selection of yearbook covers using our three bar logo to represent the third graduate year. Our intention is for the cover to be foil blocked in blue on white stock.
The type has been arranged using three columns to tie it into the rule of three concept for the book.  
Quite like the orientation of this type but think that the three bar icon could be made bigger to it is the same height as the BA (Hons) Graphic Design sentence. 
I think that use of a bounding rectangle distracts attention away from the icon in the bottom right.
Placing the date in a small rectangle makes a nice reference to the icon without becoming distracting. A nice detail.
This one reminds me somewhat of a Russian constructivist poster. Interesting orientation of the icon + the date rectangle reference. There's something I quite like about this one. I'll discuss with the team tomorrow in our meeting :)
Again, I feel that the use of a large rectangle is somewhat distracting. This one is less weighty but still a little to imposing in my mind.


I think the icon if far too large in this one. That said it might be interesting to develop it further to see what we could do using the columns, icon and cover type. 


I think the date the dame thickness as the third bar works well. Interested to see if it will look any good below the third bar in the gap?
To me, this use of Helvetica looks very Swiss. Big column gaps and bold shapes. 
I think I prefer the horizontal orientation of the type. It sits better and is more explicitly in three columns. The date looks a little lost to me. I'll suggest in our meeting tomorrow reversing the date out of a small rectangle, similar to the examples above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - FMP