It happened. It actually happened. We have officially had our final crit ever (well... in an educational sense). If I'm honest, it feels a bit strange really.
The final crit was an all day affair with the class displaying all of their FMP work across two studios - really good to see the fruits of everyones labours. There was some really strong work on display, although I couldn't help but feel my own cupboards were a little bare. I don't think I've done no work, its just that some of my briefs have taken time to complete - there is no quick way around the yearbook brief or the end of year show brief. Another problem with these two briefs is that the work itself won't actually be printed until after hand-in (apart form mock-ups). It does however feel quite good to have been entrusted with the concept, development and design of briefs who's budgets equate to tens of thousands of pounds. This has of course added stress but the feeling of responsibility and purpose is far greater.
Back to the final crit. I arrived prepared but feeling a bit short on work and briefs. I have three substantial very nearly in the can (stamps, yearbook and end of year show) + a couple of quick turnaround briefs. My main flaw, as confirmed by feedback is my lack of a fourth large brief - something I am well aware of. I have actually started one on the rebrand of 'Tangerine Films' but have found that a lot of my time has been sapped by the sheer amount of deliverables and amendments to the end of year show brief. The yearbook, although not as time consuming, has also damaged my workflow somewhat. These are by no means excuses, just observations. Both are very nearly wrapped up now (they will be by Wednesday) meaning my time will be free to complete the Tangerine Films brief and context book + project make boards for hand-in.
I am well aware of the amount of work I need to complete, which was pointed out in the crit, but on the plus side feedback on my blog / documentation (somthing i've tried to stay on top of) was very positive. As were the comments on the production and finish of my briefs.
What's key for me now is to really focus on finishing the yearbook for print (Tuesday) and end of year show (Wednesday) so I can spend the rest of the week tidying up my Tangerine Films brief and context book - this will free up the weekend to prepare my boards and PPD work for submission. An epic amount of work to do but I'm up to the challenge. Who ever said FMP was going to be easy?
Feedback forms from the crit:
Strong feedback on the work I've produced and documentation but much more emphasis placed on finishing my fourth brief and context book. Agreed.
Lots of things need to get done in a short space of time so I thought defining some deliverables and an action plan based on the crit might be a step in the right direction.
It's going to get extremely hectic but I think this is a realistic series of deadlines in timeframe. End of Year Show and Yearbook will be complete by the end of Wednesday with the Tangerine Films brief documented and finished by the weekend. This means that my context book and can be completed over the weekend leaving next week to finalise and finish my boards and tidy up my PPD + project file + paperwork. WOW!
Deliverables for Tangerine Films Brief:
Logo / identity
Letterheads
Business Cards
Mailing Labels
Invoices
Visitor Badge
Presentation Slide Formats
Email Signature
DVD / CD Packaging
Vehicle Decals
News Release?
Note Pads?
No comments:
Post a Comment