Thursday, 12 May 2011

Stamp Packaging - Theory of Evolution

My final postage stamp packaging design is for my series of Theory of Evolution stamps. 
For this one I thought I would change the format of the design so that the fold was at the top of the packaging as it suits the linear progression of the stamp series.
I wanted to reference the stamp designs with the inside colour choice - chosing to use the green of the Queen stamp (bottom right). Centrally justified type helps to make the layout evenly balanced and symmetrical. The addition of the Natural History Museum logo ties the elements together as well as providing a realistic context to the stamp series. 
For the cover design I wanted to use the artwork elements of the stamp series to create a memorable cover design. I began with overlaying the different silhouettes to suggest a linear evolution to the viewer but the form seemed to be too wide and the overlay confused the clarity of its delivery. 
I then tried to simplify it using just the neanderthal and Queen silhouettes but felt that this was perhaps a  bit too simple. I did however like the 'circular' mark left by this approach. 
Wanting to incorporate all of the stages of evolution I tested different blending modes to see which one worked best. The middle one provides the best contrast between the silhouettes.
Cover / Approach tests:
I like this one because of its simplicity - dissecting the two forms and using three colours. The overlap being the same colour could be seen to connote that the two silhouettes share a history. Getting a bit deep now but you see my point.
This linear overlay works well to demonstrate the evolution but it feels too spread out and lacks definition.
In my opinion, the most successful design is the overlay of all six silhouettes. Not only does it depict the theory of evolution but also has the nicest form to it - a well rounded mark to use on the cover design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - FMP