Having decided that a sans serif is much more fitting for the company I used a refined, light sans serif to better suit the companies values and output. After testing a selection I went ahead with Geosans Light and Gill Sans, both of which provided a well balanced shape with spread out tracking.
Keeping it simple, and referencing the name, I underlined the type with a tangerine mix of orange:
Simple and effective, but I wanted to try to push the simple approach further. Because I'm dealing with the two wings of the company I wanted to try and figure out a was of displaying each without the other. Because the A is positioned in the same lace in both cases I used its counter to reference the missing wing of the company in the logotype. This works pretty well but I'm not sure people would get it when they are viewed independently.
This lead me to try designing a logo type that still contains both names but crosses the inapplicable one out using a heavy stroke. This works far better than the above idea because both wings of the company are represented in the one mark.
My only problem with it it that it is a bit ugly and unrefined. An approach to add detail and identity to the mark would be to 'cross hatch' the names out:
With a view to leaving both legible but to create a clear distinction to which one would be applicable to whatever it was attached to:
Combination logotypes (bad):
After designing these marks and attempting to isolate one branch of the company from the other I think it is far more hassle that it is worth. It would be a much better logo if it represented both names equally.






No comments:
Post a Comment