Friday, 6 May 2011

Yes Studio Interview

Got a reply from Simon at Yes Studio on the subject of multidisciplinary studios. My reason for contacting Yes is because they obviously have a strong affinity with print but at the same time over recent years they have expanded into digital work to accompany their print projects. He has some interesting views on the relationship between print and digital.
---
Was the decision to operate as a multidisciplinary studio something you aimed for at YES' inception?
YES started out as a primarily print based studio, although we had dabbled in TV graphics and title sequences. We had various unsuccessful collaborations, where outside companies were commissioned to create websites, the results were not of the sufficient standard and reflected badly on us. This led to us building a small in-house team that could operate at a high technical and aesthetic level within this area.

What are the benefits from operating as a multidisciplinary studio?
I guess we could broadly be called a 'visual communications studio' – a contemporary interpretation of this is that we would operate within a wide variety of mediums. To make things relevant and challenging (and economically viable) we believe that it's essential to work with many forms of technology, whether that be letterpress, photography or web-design.

Are studios that specialise in one area of design (print, web etc) at a competitive disadvantage?
I feel studios & individuals that are not engaging with web design are risking becoming obsolete. 10 years ago a company would approach a design studio to create stationery, print material, brochures etc. in the majority of cases this is not the situation today. A website is often much more necessary than materials which will only have a very limited distribution.

A sad thought but… are JPEGs the new album covers? Is there still a place for printed matter in graphic design?
We love print, books and tactile objects, in addition to the dynamic possibilities of digital media. warp20 http://www.yesstudio.co.uk/view/warp20 is a project that proves that there is a market for physical, desirable formats. I always thought plastic CD packaging was pretty disposable in many cases. I guess JPEG thumbnails are an extension of the more 'consumable/mass produced' side of things. At least less trees and petro-chemical wastage occurs with JPEGs!

What one development (software, technology, theory etc) do you believe will have the biggest impact on your work in the next ten years?
We find the tension and dialogue between print and screen-based media fascinating. I think these seemingly opposing set of ideas and parameters will continue inform the work that we make.
---
Simon's thoughts on the 'tension and dialogue' between print and screen based media are very intriguing. Its the relationship between the two that I think will challenge and develop me as a practicing graphic designer in the future. I have come to realise that you can't really have one without the other. You can no longer be ignorant to the way in which the creative industry is changing - both routes are often applicable to the development of a brief and to ignore either would be bad practice. 
It is interesting to see his comments on collaboration with outside companies, this is the opposite to that of Nat at Airside. I think that the moral of the story here is to either build your own team internally or once you find a reliable company to work with - keep hold of them. This is something I'm definitely finding when commissioning photographers within my own work. When I'm working was a designer as soon as I find a good photographer I will be sure to build a lasting relationship with them - same goes for  web / mobile device developers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 - FMP