Addressing the issue of Tangerine Films new identity I thought it a good place to start by looking at type. Their current identity is type based and short of actually using a picture of a tangerine I'm not sure what kind of logo would suit the company and its philosophy.
Type Tests:
Extremely similar to the existing logo only not italicised. Too similar? I do like the form of the S but think the rounded cornets look a bit cheesy for the type of company it is.
Attemptin got go the opposite way from the bold type of their current logo I wanted to try and adapt a lighter typeface to make a more signature logotype.
Tried at different scales though, it was a weak logo at smaller scales.
Perhaps a logo would be better, hence the graphic tangerines below ( I am aware that they look very similar to my own branding). On reflection though I think that maybe taking the name so literally would be a bad idea.
Due to their refined cinematic productions I tested and shortlisted some serif faces as well as interesting san serif. Tests into lowercase helped me quickly make my mind up that that wasn't the way to go - it lacks impact and the different height characters don't sit as nicely together as a mark.
Having tried many faces I've come to the conclusion that a serif face is too traditional for the output of the company. Although heir clients have heritage, they are a relatively new, forward thinking company and a serif does not display this.









No comments:
Post a Comment